with Ali & Ram
At the end of Rensizzle week, students should be able to:
- Discover hidden places, artifacts, structures, cultures not normally known by the students.
- Share what they learn to their families and friends.
- Make connections with what they experience with what they learn in the various subjects they have in school.
- Appreciate the fact they they live in the greatest city in the world and that a lot of learning can be experienced here.
|JOSEPH ROJAS FRAGO||9|
DAY 1: JACKSON HEIGHTS
Link to Ram’s Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/R2fpu8G3ryRQeGVa6
Opening Discussion: What’s unique with Jackson Heights? Students’ Responses:
- Various Cultures/Nationalities – Ecuadorian, Colombian, Mexican, Japanese, Indian, Tibetan, Dominican, Chinese, Jewish, Irish, Filipino, African-American, LGBTQ, Paraguay, Uruguay, Greek, Puerto Rico, Russian, Croatians, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Egypt,
- The Most diverse community in THE WORLD, in New York
- Variety of Food
- We pick up/learn stuff from our environment. Ex. Tibetan flag @ Ali’s office (fighting for independence from China);
YOUTUBE VIDEOS ABOUT JACKSON HEIGHTS
History of JH: http://www.mpcproperties.com/jacksonheightshistory.php
A LOOK AT JH : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5w_n1-SBWg
NY TIMES : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdDwqg8ujWY
BEST ETHNIC FOOD : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daPnSMROh6I
SECRET MOMO SHACK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efeZYOLu1TY
JH LIFE AND CULTURE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5w_n1-SBWg
ACTUAL RESTAURANTS VISITED FOR A TASTE TEST:
- 969 COFFEE -owner is Oda. We ate Oniguri 80th St. -ff of Roosevelt
- La Estonia del Camaron – Mexican. We ate Ceviche de Pulpo – 80ths & Roosevelt
- Taco spot – missing – we skipped this.
- Rainbow Bakery – 74th /Roosevelt/Broadway – coconut bread ; ham & Egg bread
- Tamaroti – Sel Roti – Nepalese 72nd st and Broadway
- Phayul – 37th Road – Diversity Plaza – Momos and Chowmain
- What is the benefit of living in a diverse neighborhood?
- What are the conflicts and problems in living in a diverse neighborhood?
- How do you rate the restaurants in JH?
- What are the benefit or hindrances of having food shops hidden?
- Are the food healthy? Reasonable?
DAY 2: ROOSEVELT ISLAND
Link to Ram’s Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xQ8tGmNrxPNhUC1j7
Videos We Watched:
NY’S Most Underrated Spot
What can you do on Roosevelt Island? | NYC VLOG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbOW4ub_NE0
SPIDER MAN TRAM SCENE
MOST UNDERRATED SPOT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeVyhbsG620
- The group decided to present a google slide show during the final day of Rensizzle presentations.
- Assignments for the Final Project were discussed
- Each student is assigned to prepare a slide or two for either day 1 or 2
- Slides should have actual photos, short/bullet description, no long paragraphs as these will be presented to the student body.
- How safe is the Tram? Is it still practical to use it?
- Why do people want to live in the island? What type of people would want to live here?
- Cornell Medical University is developing structures here. What benefit will the city get from here?
- Why do they light up the ruins? Who pays for this? Why not demolish it and let Cornell develop that area?
- What is FDR’s legacy or impact in the US history. How has this affected you?
DAY 3: NYC SUBWAYS
Link to Ram’s Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CAYrDn9CWiK8S1Uh8
- Bring folders and writing instrument for note taking
- Earbuds will be collected
- Cellphone use during the trip – upon Ram and Ali’s approval
9-9:30: Attendance check ; Surrender headphones ; bring folder ; have a writing instrument ; Review of Google Slides for the final presentation
10:00 – to City Hall, Manhattan to meet tour guides
11:00 – Start of the tour : Two sub groups
1:00 – End of the tour at the Oculus / Lunch in the City
2:00 – Subway train back to TRCS
3:10 – Dismissal
Facts you may not know:
Tour of the past present and future of the NYC SUBWAY:
NYC Subway Secrets
NYC SUBWAY FACTS
- What made the city develop subway systems? How did it develop? What are the first 3 major companies that started this?
- How important is a subway system in a city like NYC?
- How difficult is it to maintain a subway system?
- Imagine NYC without a subway system, what will happen?
DAY 4: UNDERGROUND RAILROAD SLAVERY IN NYC