Adult Leader/s: Jose Mane and Lisa Burns
Goals and Objectives:
Write songs and raps, music and lyrics, and record music on a CD in our studio. Identify student-directed focus and themes for the album, and work on focusing lyrics and music toward these themes.
Aim: What are the problems that we would like to solve in our communities?
Monday, October 21 – 9:00-9:30 AM – ice breakers and – group building.
9:30-10:30- What communities are we a part of and what are the problems that affect our communities? Problem-based discussion–
- Students will define community,
- define and analyze a challenge that is presented to their community,
- identifying problems and collectively discuss and record solutions with their group.
10:30-11:30- Roundtable discussion about student-identified problems in different communities
11:30- 12:30- Group decision about the 6-8 problems that students will choose to tackle in their school, neighborhood, borough, city, state, national, or global communities.
1:30- 2:30- Students do research about the problem that they have chosen to tackle and identify the overall challenge and problems that stem from the challenge.
- Students will research articles about the causes of a problem generated from a group discussion.
- They are to type a one-page reflection that details the problem and its causes.
2:30- 3:13- Groups present their findings and we identify and write down problems and solutions on the community board.
Tuesday, October 22 –
9am to 10am: Critical Analysis of Nas’s “One Love”.
- Students will take directed notes as they individually read the lyrics to Nas’ s One Love.
- Mark places in the song where Nas identifies a personal problem with a PP, a community problem with CP, and a solution with an S.
- Teacher modeled critical reading.
Rest of the day: Writing a problem/solution- based song.
- Identifying problems and solutions of the School to Prison Pipeline problem.
- Group writing session: based on the School to Prison Pipeline Issue
Wednesday, October 23 – Recording and writing cycle
- Artwork group organizes responsibilities: cover art, back cover art, cd sticker art
- End of day share-out of artwork concepts and ideas
Thursday, October 24 –
- continue recording; creative writing/solo song writing
- pick final tracklisting; start mixing process
- create back cover
- continue and finish mixing the final tracklisting
- publish online; furnish wiki page; share out
Dylan, Kylup and Richard Jam session: